1. Bring the pork to room temperature before cooking so that it cooks evenly.
2. Score the fat and rub in lots of coarse salt – be really generous. This removes excess moisture and ensures maximum crispiness. There’s no need for oil.
3. Roast at a high temperature for 30–40 minutes, keeping an eye on it to make sure it’s getting good and crispy.
4. Cover with foil, reduce the heat and cook for around 4 hours.
5. Remove the foil and cook for a further hour or so, or until tender and falling apart.
Serving suggestion: Cook a pork shoulder as described above. Use the leftovers to make pulled pork tacos or buns and serve with avocado, pickled red onion, shredded carrot and red cabbage.
Discover more at sappo.co.za