1. Place 1 cup of uncooked sushi rice in a large bowl, cover with water and drain to rinse the rice. Repeat this process 7-10 times until the water runs clear.
2. Fill the bowl once more with water and soak the rice for 30 minutes. Drain.
3. To a saucepan, add 1 ½ cups cold water and the rice. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Turn off the heat, uncover the rice and let it cool – to prevent it overcooking, transfer to a bamboo steamer. With a wooden paddle or spoon, gently spread the rice to separate the grains.
5. To finish, drizzle 1 T rice wine vinegar over and fold through the rice. Leave until it reaches room temperature before you start making sushi.
Of course, not everyone has time to make sushi from scratch, which is why the Woolworths ready-made sushi selection is so great – choose between a tofu or salmon poke bowl, salmon roses, vegetable futomaki and California rolls, salmon roses and rainbow sushi mini doughnuts.