The secret to cooking butternut, pumpkin and sweet potato in this time frame is to steam them first (in the microwave works just fine) and then fry them to add flavour and caramelization. This recipe was born as fridge forage and has became a personal favourite. Instead of a dressing, I make a feta-and-ginger mandarin cumin butter. I love what the sweetness and fragrance of naartjies do in this very special-tasting butter, which, by the way, also pairs extremely well with roast chicken.
- 500 g Woolworths butternut, pumpkin and sweet potato mix
- 2 ½ T oil
- 1 t cumin seeds
- 1 t coriander seeds
- 200 g salted butter
- 1 t fresh ginger, grated
- 400 g Woolworths cooked marinated beetroot
- 2 T Woolworths vegetable seasoning
- 2 naartjies, zested and juiced
- 250 g feta (optional)
- Woolworths balsamic salad sprinkle, for serving
- microherbs, for serving
View this post on Instagram
1. Snip a corner off the bag of butternut and sweet potato and microwave for 8 minutes or until tender. Heat the oil in a pan over a high heat and fry the vegetables until golden brown, add vegetable seasoning.
2. Heat another pan and dry roast the cumin and coriander seeds. Add the butter and allow to melt. Add the ginger and stir. Lastly, add the naartjie juice and zest.
3. To serve, arrange the roasted vegetables onto a serving platter and pour over the naartjie butter. Top with the marinated beetroot, break up large pieces of feta and toss over the salad and scatter with the salad sprinkle and microherbs.
Photograph: Shavan Rahim
Videography: Romy Wilson