I use the term shakshuka loosely here, as these poached eggs in chorizo-tomato sauce are inspired by the popular Middle Eastern and northern African dish. The result is an “eggs in purgatory” vibe with a mild hit of spice from the chorizo.
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 220 g Woolworths smoked Spanish chorizo pork sausage, roughly chopped
- 1 x 400 g can whole unpeeled cherry tomatoes
- 4 Woolworths free-range eggs
- fresh herbs, for serving (optional)
- pita, for serving
View this post on Instagram
1. Heat a pan and add the olive oil. Fry the chorizo until crispy. Add the tomatoes and stir through.
2. Crack in the eggs and place a lid on the pan. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes for a nice, gooey yolk. Serve with warm pitas.
Videography and stills: Sadiqah Assur-Ismail