This peri-peri roast chicken is easy to make, perfect for summer and is packed full of delicious, spicy flavour.
- 1 - 2 kg whole chicken, skin on (or choose similar amount of thighs, legs, breast meat as desired)
- 2 T canola oil
- 1 T HP sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup Maille Dijon Originale
- 4 - 6 fresh bird's eye chilies
- 1 T harissa
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 2 T vinegar
- 1 T paprika
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
1. Pour 1 T of oil over the chicken and use hands to coat the chicken in the oil. If using the browning, apply now, using hands to distribute evenly across the chicken. The browning will give the chicken some additional colour, but is completely optional. Season the chicken liberally with salt and pepper.
2. Make the peri-peri sauce. In a food processor, combine Maille Dijon Originale, chillies, garlic, onion, red pepper, vinegar, paprika, thyme, lemon juice and zest. Blend until smooth. You should have a thick creamy paste. Lather about 2/3 of the sauce onto the chicken, making sure to coat it fully, including under the skin. Place in a roasting pan and cover with foil. Let the chicken marinate in the fridge overnight, preferably for an entire day.
3. Preheat oven to 200 ℃
4. Remove chicken from the fridge and let it come to room temperature. Place the chicken uncovered in the oven along with the remaining oil. Roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes – 1 hour and 30 minutes, basting every 30 minutes with the juices from the chicken. The chicken skin should be very crispy with some browned spots (i.e. flavour!)
5. Remove the roasted chicken from the oven. Using a spoon, slather on about 2 tbsp of the peri-peri sauce onto the cooked chicken while it is still hot. Reserve the remaining sauce for dipping. Serve and enjoy!
Take your cooking to the next level with Maille Mustard. Whether you’re adding it to a marinade for the braai or creating a deeper flavour to your midweek dishes, Maille’s finely crafted mustard range transforms any basic meal into a culinary delight.
We’re giving away a Maille hamper to one lucky TASTE reader to the value of R800. Enter here.