“I recommend using a medium gammon for this cooking method, or a bone-in cooked Woolworths gammon and glaze.” – Abigail Donnelly
- 1 kg gammon, at room temperature
- For the glaze, mix:
- 3 T fresh tamarind
- 6 T treacle sugar
- 4 T golden syrup
- For the pickled nectarines:
- 10 ripe nectarines
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 cups cranberry juice
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 bouquet garni
1. To make the gammon, line the air-fryer basket with 2 layers of foil, enough to overlap the sides of the basket and cover the gammon.
2. Add the gammon and cover in the foil. Air-fry at 170°C for 20 minutes. Peel back the foil and spoon over the glaze. Air-fry for a further 25 minutes.
3. Remove the gammon and the juices and rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
4. To make the pickled nectarines, cut a small cross into the base of the fruit. Place in a large pan with the remaining ingredients. Place a sheet of greaseproof paper directly onto the fruit and poach for 10 minutes.
5. Spoon the nectarines onto a plate and carefully peel. Simmer the liquid for 30 minutes until reduced and syrupy. Cool and add the nectarines.
6. Serve the gammon with the pickled nectarines.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Food assistants: Emma Nkunzana and Nicola Naude