Bake this popular South African cookie in your air fryer and enjoy for afternoon tea.
- 100 g cake flour
- 3 ml baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 60 g butter
- 30 ml castor sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 60 ml smooth apricot jam
- 80 g castor sugar
- 80 g desiccated coconut
1. Sift the flour and baking powder together with a pinch of salt. Rub in the butter and add the castor sugar. Whisk the egg yolks and stir into the mixture to make a dough.
2. Press evenly over the base of a greased 15 x 20-cm aluminium foil container. Prick all over the base with a fork.
3. Spread the apricot jam over the pastry. Preheat the air fryer to 160 °C. Place the aluminium tin into the basket of the air fryer and cook for 8 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the topping. Beat the egg whites together until stiff. Stir in the sugar and coconut.
5. Remove the tin from the air fryer and spoon the topping over the jam. Return to the air fryer and bake for 12-15 minutes at 160 °C until the topping is crisp and light golden. Remove from the air fryer and cool completely.
6. Use a sharp knife to cut into slices. Store in an airtight container.
This is an extract from the South African Air Fryer Cookbook by Louisa Holst published by Human & Rousseau and retailing for R320.