Aloo fry is a simple stir-fried potato side dish that is the perfect accompaniment to a lentil dish or a roast. I have such fond memories of my mother, Shoneez Marks, making this aromatic potato fry and serving it with her signature lentil or dhal curry.
- 6 potatoes, thinly sliced
- salt, to taste
- ½ t ground turmeric
- 1 heaped t ground garlic, ginger with red chilli paste
- 4 T olive oil
- 1 t whole cumin seeds
- a handful freshly chopped coriander
1. Rinse the potatoes, pat dry and toss in the salt, turmeric and ground garlic, ginger and red chilli.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan over a high heat. Add the cumin and braise until it starts to darken.
3. Add the marinated potatoes, stir and fry for roughly 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to medium. Sprinkle roughly 2 T water in the pan to allow the potatoes to steam while covered with a lid for 5–8 minutes.
4. Stir the potatoes, ensuring they do not stick, add a few more sprinkles of water, cover with the lid and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through.
5. Remove from heat, garnish with the fresh coriander and serve warm.
Photograph: Toby Murphy
Production: Khanya Mzongwana