Forget about instant hot chocolate mixes, once you’ve had this decadent hot chocolate, you won’t settle for anything less. It’s rich, thick, creamy and super indulgent – it can almost be eaten with a spoon! Pretend to be in a French café and dunk buttery croissants into the hot chocolate. European-style hot chocolate is typically made with cocoa powder or dark chocolate, milk, cream and sometimes a thickening agent such as cornflour. We’ve put a twist on this classic by adding a dash of Amarula Ethiopian coffee cream liqueur.
- ½ cup Amarula Ethiopian Coffee Cream liqueur
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 200 g good quality dark chocolate, plus extra for serving
- 2 cups full cream milk
- 2 T sugar
- 1 T cornflour
- pinch salt, to taste
- 1 cup Woolworths whipping cream
- 1 packet Woolworths frozen mini all butter croissants
1. Heat the milk and cinnamon stick in a small pot.
2. Add the chocolate and whisk until melted.
3. Add half the Amarula, sugar and cornflour and whisk until the mixture is thick and creamy and season to taste.
4. Whip the cream with the remaining Amarula.
5. Pour the hot chocolate into two cups and dollop over the cream and sprinkle over the grated chocolate. Serve with toasty warm mini croissants for dunking.
Amarula Ethiopian coffee cream liqueur is a new flavoured cream liqueur that is infused with the taste of real marula fruit and perfectly complemented by the full-bodied and fragrant mocha-chocolate undertones of single-origin Arabica beans from Ethiopia.
Photography: Sadiqah Assur-Ismael
Recipes and Production: Brita du Plessis
Food assistant: Katie Ferreira