- 420 g fresh mussels, tightly closed
- 2 T olive oil
- 250 g angelhair pasta, broken into short pieces
- 1 x 400 g whole tomatoes in tomato juice, blended
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Italian parsley, torn, to garnish
Scrub the mussels and rinse well.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and lightly toast the pasta in the heated oil. Keep turning with tongs – don’t worry if some pieces catch a little more than others. Add the tomatoes, garlic and chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
Add the mussels, cover tightly and simmer for 5 minutes or until the pasta is tender and the mussels have opened. Discard any mussels that do not open. Check the seasoning and sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.
Cook’s note: For a vegetarian option, top the pasta with crumbled feta instead of mussels and add a few broccoli florets. If you like, sprinkle with Parmesan or pecorino at the table.