- 1 Flavourburst Envy apple, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1 T caster sugar
- 200 g butter
- 200 g caster sugar
- 4 free-range eggs
- 1 cup Woolworths Ayrshire full-cream plain yoghurt
- 1 lemon, zested
- 350 g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 Flavourburst Opal apple, peeled and grated
- 2 T apricot jam, melted
- icing sugar, for dusting
- 250 g creme fraiche or mascarpone, for serving (optional)
- 1 vanilla pod, seeded (or 1 t vanilla paste), for serving (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 20 cm springform cake tin.
2. Place the sliced apple in a bowl with the cinnamon and 1 T caster sugar and toss to combine. Set aside.
3. Beat the butter and 200 g caster sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the yoghurt and lemon zest and mix until combined.
4. Gently fold the flour and grated apple into the cake mixture. Pour the mixture into the greased cake tin and top with the cinnamon-sugar apple slices.
5. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
6. Brush the top of the cake with the apricot jam and allow to cool before dusting with icing sugar. If using, beat the crème fraiche or mascarpone with the vanilla and serve with the cake.
Cook’s note: The recipe can be halved for a smaller cake, bake for half the time.
Find more desserts and baking recipes, here.