"This was inspired by the new apricot harissa on Woolies’ shelves. Serve with instant noodles or Woolies’ frozen mash and stir-fried baby spinach. The chicken does take a bit longer for a weeknight but it’s perfect for the weekend. Or put it on as soon as you get home and take the dog for a walk."
- 1 free-range chicken
- 4 T olive oil
- 1 x 140 g Woolworths apricot harissa, jar
- salt, to taste
- 6 shallots, halved (or 3 onions, quartered)
- 1 x 400 ml coconut cream, can
- ¾ cup chicken stock
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Rub the oil and harissa all over the chicken and season with salt. Place the chicken in a baking dish. Pour in the coconut milk and stock, then cover with foil and roast for 1 hour. Remove the foil and roast for a further 15 minutes.
2. Remove from the oven and rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Cook’s note: Cook the chicken, coconut cream and stock in a roasting bag to reduce the cooking time
Photograph: Myburgh Du Plessis
Production: Abigail Donnelly
Food Assistant: Bianca Strydom