- 4 Woolworths duck leg-and-thigh portions
- 3 good-quality chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup Kikkoman soya sauce
- 130 g brown sugar
- 1 x 5 cm fresh ginger piece, peeled and sliced
- 2 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 1 lemon, zested
- For the salad:
- 85 g red quinoa
- 170 g bulgur wheat
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 T ginger finely grated
- 1⁄2 bunch red salad onions, thinly sliced
- 250 g cherry tomatoes on the vine
- 300 g edamame beans, steamed
- 20 g parsley roughly chopped
- 1 t soya sauce
1 Place the duck portions in a large saucepan and add the remaining ingredients, ensuring the duck is covered, and stir. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 35 minutes, or until cooked through. The meat should easily pull away from the bone.
2 Remove the duck from the saucepan, place on a plate, cover in foil and set aside. Reduce the cooking liquid to a sauce consistency.
3 To make the salad, cook the red quinoa and bulgur wheat separately in salted water for 15 minutes, or until tender. Cool slightly and fluff using a fork.
4 Heat the oil in a large pan and sauté the garlic, ginger and salad onions for 1 minute. Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for 4 minutes, or until slightly charred and burst.
5 Add the edamame beans, parsley, soya sauce and 3 T reduced stock and stir. Add the quinoa and bulgur wheat and toss well. Place on a platter and top with the duck. Serve the reduced stock on the side if you like.
For more duck recipes, click here.