- 1⁄4 (200 g) Chinese cabbage
- 100 g rice vermicelli noodles
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock, boiling hot
- 3 t ponzu sauce
- 1 x 2 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Slice the cabbage very thinly lengthways. Place the noodles in a saucepan. Pour over the stock and bring to a bubble. Cover and turn off the heat. Allow to stand for 3 minutes until just tender but still with texture.
Drain, reserving the stock for another use, and allow to cool. Add the ponzu sauce and grate over the ginger. Add the cabbage, mix well, season if necessary, or add more ponzu sauce to taste.
Cook's note: This is such a simple, understated dish. Sometimes I skip the ginger and add a slick of sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds. It's good with crispy chicken wings, thinly sliced honey-baked ham or pan-fried tofu.