- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 T ginger
- 1 small chilli, seeded and diced
- 1 lemongrass stalks, finely chopped (bottom third only)
- 6 T olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 8 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 T tamarind paste (optional)
- 2 t fish sauce
- 1 t sugar
- 250 g calamari tentacles
- 40 g spring onion, sliced at an angle
- 1 small bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- 250 g udon noodles, cooked according to package instructions and cooled
Fry the garlic, ginger, chilli and lemongrass in 4 T olive oil until light golden. Add the white wine and boil for 1 minute.
Add the tomatoes and tamarind, if using, and cook slowly for 30 to 40 minutes.
Add the fish sauce and sugar. Remove from the heat.
Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan. Add the calamari and flash fry for 3 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, then toss in the spring onion and coriander. Add the cooked noodles and mix.