Break with tradition and use a mix of convenient ready-to-heat grains instead of white rice or orzo. Remember this recipe in summer too, as the soup is just as good served cold. If you prefer not to use spinach, add lots of chopped dill instead.
- 2 litres home-made chicken soup or good-quality stock
- 400 g shredded, cooked chicken
- 250 g Woolworths ready to eat brown basmati rice, red and white quinoa mix
- 3 free-range eggs
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 200 g baby spinach, washed and dried (optional)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Bring stock to the boil in a large saucepan. Add the chicken, rice and quinoa and simmer gently until heated through.
2. Whisk the eggs with the lemon juice, then gradually whisk in ½–1 cup hot soup to warm the eggs.
3. Whisk the eggs into the soup, and continue whisking until the soup thickens slightly. Take care to heat gently and avoid boiling and curdling the soup. Stir in the baby spinach and check the seasoning.
Photograph: Toby Murphy
Productions: Brita Du Plessis
Food assistant: Claire-Ellen Van Rooyen