- 4 free-range duck legs
- 150 g streaky bacon, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Fresh thyme, a few sprigs
- 2 x 400 g cans lentils, drained and rinsed
- 8 Bright Lights or Swiss chard leaves, chopped
- 4 - 6 dates, torn
- Italian parsley, for serving, to taste
Preheat the oven to 160°C. Place duck legs fat side down in a large, cold ovenproof pan. Add chopped streaky bacon, garlic, onion and the fresh thyme and place over a low heat.
As the pan heats up the bacon and duck legs will begin to brown. Cook for 5–10 minutes, then remove from the heat.
Add drained and rinsed lentils, the stalks of Bright Lights or Swiss chard leaves and the torn dates.
Season and roast for 15–20 minutes, or until cooked through. Serve warm sprinkled with Italian parsley and the Swiss chard leaves.