- 4 cups full-cream milk
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 cup polenta
- 2 T olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 500 g butternut chunks, halved
- Sage leaves, a few sprigs
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 75 g Royal Ashton cheese, for serving
- 1 handful rocket, to garnish
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Bring the milk to the boil in a large saucepan. Add the salt and gradually whisk in the polenta. Reduce the heat. Keep whisking until thick and smooth.
Turn the polenta into a greased shallow baking pan, about 32 cm x 24 cm. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden and starting to crisp.
Moisten the butternut with olive oil. Turn into a baking pan, about the same size as the one used for the polenta. Tuck in the sage leaves, smear with garlic and season. Bake for 30 minutes, or until tender and starting to catch. Turn onto the polenta crust.
Top with shavings of cheese. Serve immediately, sprinkled with wild rocket.
COOK’S NOTE: Use Parmesan, if you prefer.