I made something similar over Christmas and it was a huge hit, with even the toughest critics in the house (the kids!) This is extra special because it’s completely plant-based and every bit as indulgent as its dairy counterpart.
- 4 medium potatoes, washed
- ½ cup Woolworths macadamia oil spread
- sea and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 120 g Woolworths dairy-free hard cheese, grated
- 1 T paprika
- Creamed spinach
- 200 g baby spinach, washed
- 1 cup Woolworths rice milk
- 2 T flour
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Pierce the potatoes with a fork and place on a baking tray. Bake until soft, about 30–35 minutes.
2. Slice the potatoes in half lengthways, scoop out the flesh and place in a bowl. Add half the macadamia oil spread, season and mash until smooth. Stir in half the grated cheese.
3. Place the hollowed potato halves back on the baking tray and spoon in the mashed potatoes. Top with the grated cheese, sprinkle with paprika and return to the oven and roast for 20–25 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown.
4. To make the creamed spinach, melt the remaining macadamia oil spread in a pan and whisk in the flour until combined. Gradually add the rice milk, whisking continuously. Stir in the baby spinach and cook for an extra five minutes.
5. Season and dish onto a serving platter. Top with the potato boats and serve warm.
Photographs: Jan ras