- 4 medium organic brinjals (about 700 g)
- olive oil, for drizzling
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 x 400 g can organic Italian chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup organic cream
- 1 x 125 g jar organic sun-dried-tomato pesto
- 2 cloves organic garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup chopped organic flat-leaf parsley
- 160 g grated Parmesan or organic pecorino, plus extra for garnishing
- a green salad, lightly dressed, for serving
Preheat the oven to 190°C.
Slice the brinjals, lengthways, very thinly. Arrange on baking sheets lined with baking paper. Moisten with olive oil and bake for 15 minutes, or until very tender.
Remove and season to taste. Blend the tomato with the cream, pesto, garlic and parsley. Stir in the cheese and season to taste.
Grease a suitable baking dish and fill it with layers of the brinjal and sauce, ending with a layer of sauce.
Sprinkle with a little cheese before baking for 20 minutes, or until nicely coloured and bubbling. Allow to stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Serve with a lightly dressed green salad.
Cook’s note: Add layers of cooked organic penne to "stretch" this recipe to a meal that will easily feed six people. The sauce is also good simply tossed with pasta.
Per serving: 2372 kJ, 19.1 g protein, 50.2 g fat, 9.8 g carbs
Baking, as opposed to frying, the brinjal dramatically cuts down the amount of oil needed, allowing the luxury of cream to enrich the sauce.