- 400 ml milk
- 50 ml sago
- butter or margarine for greasing
- 2 eggs
- 20–40 ml sugar
- 1 ml salt
- 5 ml vanilla essence
1. Measure out 100 ml milk into a measuring jug. Soak the sago in it for 1 hour.
2. Set the oven temperature to 150 °C. Grease a baking dish with butter or margarine.
3. Switch on the stove to medium heat and bring the remaining milk to the boil in the saucepan. Reduce the heat to low.
4. Stir the soaked sago into the hot milk with the wooden spoon. Let it boil for 5 minutes while stirring all the time. Switch off the heat.
5. Beat the eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla essence with the electric hand mixer in the mixing bowl.
6. Add the hot sago mixture to the beaten egg and sugar.
7. Pour the mixture into the greased baking dish. Place the dish in the centre of the oven pan.
8. Fill a water jug with hot water. Pour the water into the oven pan to a depth of 2 cm.
9. Ask a grownup to place the oven pan on the middle rack in the oven.
10. Bake for 45 minutes. Ask a grownup to help you remove the pudding from the oven. Switch off the oven.
11. Serve the sago pudding in pudding bowls with syrup or jam.
Recipe extracted from Cook and Enjoy for Kids, published by Human & Rousseau (imprint of NB Publishers).