- 500 g free-range lamb rib chops
- 2 T Woolworths barbeque rub
- 2 T olive oil
- rocket, lightly dressed, for serving
- For the sweet-potato mash:
- 1 kg Beauregard orange sweet potatoes
- 3 cups good-quality chicken stock
- ½ cup naartjie juice
- 1 T butter
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Trim the chops. Mix the barbeque rub with the olive oil and smear onto the chops. Allow to stand while heating the grill.
Thread the chops onto a skewer and place, fat side up, under the grill, not too close. When the fat is nicely browned and crisp, slide the chops off the skewer. Quickly grill on both sides until browned outside but still rosy-rare. Serve with the sweet-potato mash and rocket.
To make the sweet-potato mash, peel the sweet potatoes and cut into chunks. Simmer in the chicken stock until tender. Drain, reserving the stock, and mash with the naartjie juice. Add ¾ cup chicken stock and mash again. Add the butter and season to taste. Freeze the remaining chicken stock to add to stews or soups.