- 2 T flour
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 500 g free-range beef cubes
- 2 T oil
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1 T tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- mashed potatoes or steamed rice, for serving
1. Mix the flour with some seasoning, then lightly coat the beef cubes in the seasoned flour.
2. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the beef until golden brown, then remove from the pan.
3. In the same pan fry the onions, carrots, celery, bay leaves and thyme for 5–10 minutes until slightly caramelised. Add the tomato paste and the red wine, then cook for 5 minutes.
4. Return the beef to the pan, add the beef stock and simmer for 2–3 hours, or until tender. Season and serve with mashed potatoes or steamed rice.
Find more stew recipes here.