- 1 bunch baby beetroot, washed
- 1 small red onion, very finely chopped
- ½ cup grape juice
- 3 T extra virgin olive oil
- 3 T red wine vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 100 g candy-striped beetroot, thinly sliced
- 2 x 170 g cans tuna chunks in vegetable oil , drained
- 1 x 400 g can red kidney beans
- 4 T cream cheese
1. Place the baby beetroot in a saucepan and fill with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Allow to cool before peeling and leave whole. You can also cut the beetroot if you like.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the red onion, grape juice, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper to make the dressing. Add the boiled beetroot and the raw candy-striped beetroot to the dressing and marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes.
3. Arrange the beetroot on platters and top with the tuna, kidney beans and a dollop of cream cheese. Spooning over the remaining dressing.
Cook's note: A delicious salad for lunchboxes or an easy meal if you’re still WFH. It offers two textures: the crunch of raw beetroot and the tenderness of boiled baby beetroot.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Emma Nkunzana