- For the rice:
- 250 g Woolworths Blue Elephant Thai black rice, rinsed and soaked for 1 hour
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 x 250 g sides Woolworths lightly smoked salmon side
- Olive oil, for rubbing
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 x 60 nnet g pu Woolworths bulk baby herb leaves
- 1½ ripe avocado, diced
- 6 spring onions, sliced
- For the dressing, mix:
- 2 red chillies, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 15 g Italian parsley
- 4 T olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Place the rice and stock in a saucepan and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until tender but with a slight bite, about 25–30 minutes.
Drain and set aside to cool. Slice the salmon into bite-sized pieces and rub with olive oil and sea salt. Place in a nonstick pan over a very high heat, skin side down. Cook until the skin begins to release from the pan.
Turn and fry for 1–2 minutes, then remove from the heat.
Divide the herbs between 4 plates, top with the rice, salmon, avocado, spring onions and dressing. Season to taste.
Cook's note: Black rice is a wholegrain with a mild nutty flavour similar to brown rice. It's popular in Thai and Indonesian cooking. Try making this salad with brown and wild rice instead of black. Both have a delicious, nutty flavour.