- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 T olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 700 g small Mediterranean potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1–2 T chives, chopped, plus extra for garnishing
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups light chicken or vegetable stock
- 375 g bockwurst sausages, thinly sliced
- 3 T ready-to-use toasted breadcrumbs
- English or Dijon mustard, for serving
- Chicory or any other bitter salad green, for serving
In a pan over a low heat, gently cook the onion in the oil, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, or until pale golden and meltingly soft.
Add the potato and chopped chive, and season to taste. Pour in the stock, cover and cook for 15 minutes, or until the potato is tender.
Mix in the sausage and cook very gently for another few minutes in order to just heat the meat.
Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and drizzle with oil. Slide under a hot grill for a few minutes until nicely browned and crisp.
Garnish with chives and serve with mustard and bitter greens on the side.
Per serving: 2195.9 kJ, 17.2 g protein, 26.9 g fat, 49.3 g carbs
Take it slowly – long, gentle cooking brings out the sweetness of the onion.