- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T butter
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 t smoked paprika
- 1 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1 t ground coriander
- 750 g Woolworths Grabouw boerewors, cut into 5cm pieces
- 2 T tomato paste
- ½ cup baby spinach
- 2 x 400 g cans chickpeas, drained
- 2 x 400 g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- coriander, to garnish
- Parmesan, grated, for serving
1. Heat the oil and butter in a deep pan. Add the onion, garlic, and 1 t salt and cook until soft and translucent. Add the spices and fry them until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the boerewors and cook until well browned.
2. Add the tomato paste and stir, then add the baby spinach and cook until wilted, about 1 minute.
3. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes and stock, and season with salt. Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes with the lid on.
4. Remove the lid and increase the heat slightly, then cook until the mixture is thick enough for your liking.
5. Garnish with chopped coriander, sprinkle Parmesan and serve immediately.
Photograph: Sadiqah Assur-Ismail
Production: Jacqueline Burgess