- For the dombolo:
- 520 g cake flour
- 1 T salt
- 2 T sugar
- 10 g dried yeast
- 1 1/4 cups water 11/4 cups
- For the bone marrow soup:
- 2 T oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 t garlic, minced
- 300 g meaty bones (beef or lamb are easiest, but any red meat will do)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 t paprika
- 1 x Woolworths split pea soup pack
- 2 cups chicken stock
1. To make the dombolo, combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Using your hands, make a well in the centre and add the water. Combine to form a dough. Knead for 8–10 minutes until elastic.
2. Place in a greased bowl and cover with clingwrap or a clean tea towel. Place in a warm place for 30 minutes to rise.
3. Once risen, knock down the dough and cut into pieces large enough to fill 8 ramekins.
4. Place the ramekins in a large saucepan and fill with enough water to come about halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cook for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
5. To make the soup, heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion and garlic until translucent. Add the bones, seasoning and paprika. Fry for 5 minutes, then remove the bones and set aside.
6. Add the soup pack and fry for 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and return the bones to the pan. Cook for 40–45 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked and soft. Check halfway through the cooking time and add more stock if necessary. Season and serve warm with the dombolo.
View this post on Instagram