Grilled cabbage has a nuttiness that I enjoy. This beer-and-mustard dressing was inspired by watching the ‘braai masters’ pouring the beer they’re holding onto the fire to cool it, or into the gravy to loosen it up. It’s also great with fish. We always have it in the fridge.
- 6 baby cabbages, halved
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 bunches kale
- For the beer-and-mustard dressing:
- 4 T wholegrain mustard
- 2 T Dijon mustard
- 3 T good-quality raw honey
- 2 1⁄2 cups lager
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- lemon juice, to taste
1. Dress the cabbage in half the oil, season lightly and grill over a bed of hot coals until deeply coloured on both sides.
2. Dress the kale in the remaining oil and season lightly. Braai over coals until nicely charred all over.
3. To make the dressing, place all the ingredients in a jar and shake until emulsified. Adjust the seasoning with salt and lemon juice. Keep leftover dressing in the fridge.
Photographs: Toby Murphy
Production: Abigail Donnelly