- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 x 400g can butter beans in brine, drained (liquid reserved)
- rosemary a sprig
- salt, to taste
- 140 g mangetout
- 135 g baby corn
- 100 g sliced fine beans
- 200 g baby rainbow carrots, blanched
- 250 g Woolworths snacking peppers, halved
- 230 g Tenderstem broccoli
- 150 g mixed berries
- 100 g candy-striped beetroot, cut into matchsticks
- 4 t olive oil
- sea salt and pepper and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- seed crackers or breadsticks, for serving (optional)
1. Heat a dry pan until smoking hot. Add the onion and char well. Add the vegetable oil, garlic, butter beans, rosemary and salt. Shake the pan and fry the beans for a further five minutes, or until the onions have caramelised and softened well.
2. Transfer to a blender and pulse until a dip consistency is achieved, adding a bit of the brine from the beans if the dip is too thick.
3. Rub all the vegetables (except the beetroot) with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on a hot braai and char. Arrange on a serving platter alongside a generous smear of the bean dip. Scatter over the berries and beetroot and serve with seed crackers and breadsticks if desired.
Cook's note: Let’s have a moment of silence for this fast and easy dip. Think refried beans, but not. It’s so good, you’ll want to put it on everything!
Photograph: Willow Tucker