Paella on the braai? Yes, it's a thing and Keletso Motau will show how to make it. Trust us, one bite and you'll be hooked.
- 1 t butter
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 T smoked paprika
- 100 g Woolworths smoked Spanish chorizo sausage, cubed
- 400 g rice
- ¼ cup white wine
- a pinch of saffron, steeped in 2 T boiling water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 x 25 g Woolworths liquid fish stock concentrate sachets, diluted in 1 litre warm water
- 250 g fresh whole mussels
- 250 g Woolworths frozen organic large black tiger prawns, thawed and deveined.
- 50 g shelled peas
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- lime wedges, for serving
1. Melt the butter and olive oil in a large paella pan on the braai and sauté the onion, pepper and garlic until the onion is translucent.
2. Add the paprika and chorizo and sauté until crispy.
3. Add the rice and cook for 2–3 minutes, stirring, then deglaze the pan with the wine.
4. Add the saffron, bay leaf and fish stock. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Add all the seafood and peas and steam for 15 minutes. Season and serve with lime wedges.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Videography: Romy Wilsoza, Jan Ras
Food assistant: Ellah Maepa