- 4 chicken thighs (500-600 g in total)
- 2 T cooking olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 large bulbs fennel, quartered
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1-2 T fresh lemon juice
- Fennel fronds, chopped, to garnish
- 4 potatoes, boiled and mashed
In a pan over a medium heat, brown the chicken in the olive oil, then remove from the pan and season to taste. Add the shallot to the pan and cook gently until softened.
Return the chicken to the pan, add the fennel and stock and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes, or until tender. Add the lemon juice and check seasoning. Sprinkle with chopped fennel fronds and serve with mashed potatoes enriched with the pan juices.
Cook’s note: Use celery hearts instead of fennel, if you prefer – keep the stems and leaves for soup, stews or stock.
Per serving: 2357 kJ, 29.5 g protein, 28.6 g fat, 34.1 g carbs