- 4 portions free-range chicken leg quarters (650 g)
- 1 T butter
- 1 T olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 250 g French shallots, peeled and thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 x 150 g apple, unpeeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry cider
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- thyme, a few sprigs
- creamy mashed potatoes, for serving
Brown the chicken pieces in the butter and oil. Remove and season to taste.
To the same pan, add a layer of shallots. Reduce the heat and stir for 1–2 minutes. Add the apple.
Return the chicken to the pan and pour over the cider. Add the cinnamon stick, bay leaf and thyme.
Cover tightly and simmer gently for 25 minutes or until the chicken is tender, but still moist. Serve with mashed potatoes.
Cook's note A dish worthy of the best British gastro pub, creamy mashed potatoes are non-negotiable here.