- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 500 g Yellowtail piece, skinned and filleted
- 1 fennel large bulb, thinly sliced
- 3 T olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 garlic large clove, crushed
- 2 ripe red tomatoes large, halved and grated
- 1 orange, juiced
- 400 g small potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced (use a mandoline)
- Flat-leaf parsley torn, for sprinkling (optional)
Preheat the oven to 230°C. Season the fish.
In an ovenproof pan, gently soften the fennel in the olive oil until soft but still pale. Stir in the garlic, then add the fish and turn to coat with the oil and fennel. Add the tomato and orange juice and bring to a simmer.
Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in salted water for 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain well.
Cover the fish with the potatoes, drizzle with olive oil and bake for 10 minutes. Finish off under a hot grill until nicely browned. Serve sprinkled with parsley, if desired.
Cook’s note: For a variation in flavour and texture, use 230 g slim leeks instead of fennel or add 1 to 2 onions and some crumbled feta.