- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup water or apple juice
- 4 Sharon fruits, peeled and sliced
- 6 figs, peeled
- 1 bunch seedless black grapes
- 6 dates, pitted
- 4 guavas, peeled and quartered
- 3 cups apple or cranberry juice
- 250 g bulgur wheat, not soaked
- 100 g pistachio nuts, for serving
- honey and yoghurt, for serving
Bring the sugar and water or juice to a boil. Add all the fruit and poach for 3 to 5 minutes, to heat through.
Remove using a slotted spoon and place in a serving bowl with 250ml (1 cup) liquid poured over.
Simmer the juice for 10 minutes to reduce slightly to a light syrup.
Pour the syrup over the wheat and cover with a lid or clingfi lm to absorb the liquid. Add a little more juice if necessary.
Keep covered for 30 minutes.
Remove the lid and loosen with a fork. Stir the wheat carefully into the fruit.
Serve topped with the pistachios and a drizzle of honey and yoghurt.
Per serving: 2436.8kJ, 10.6g protein, 11g fat, 119.9g carbs
This makes a delicious and interesting breakfast. You can use any fruit you have on hand.