- For the crust:
- 200 g savoury crackers, crushed
- 125 g butter, melted
- For the filling:
- 2 Woolworths medium exotic brinjals (about 450 g), peeled and finely diced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 x 400 g can peeled and diced Italian tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- A few fresh sprigs oregano (or ½ t dried)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 large free-range eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup cream
- 125 g feta, crumbled
- rocket, for serving
- olive oil, for drizzling
To make the crust, mix the crackers and butter well. Press into a 23 cm loose-bottomed tart tin, covering the base evenly. Chill while preparing the filling.
To make the filling, gently cook the brinjals in the olive oil for about 10 minutes, until softened. If necessary, add a little more oil. Stir in the tomatoes, garlic and oregano. Gently simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes, until the tomatoes have reduced and the brinjals are very tender. Season lightly. Discard the fresh oregano sprigs. Allow to cool, then spoon into the prepared tart shell.
Mix the eggs, cream and feta. Add a twist or two of pepper; it shouldn’t need salt. Pour over the vegetables and bake at 180°C for 25 minutes, or until just set and pale golden.
Serve topped with rocket, lightly dressed with olive oil.