In 2021, Onezwa Mbola, a.k.a @thegreenthumbedfairy earned the bragging rights of being crowned South Africa's first Kerrygold #UltimateButterMaster by submitting this traditional butter chicken recipe. It's creamy, fragrant and one you should definitely add to your recipe arsenal.
- For marinade, mix
- 2 T fresh ginger, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 cup plain double-cream yoghurt
- 1 T garam masala
- 1 t ground coriander
- Main ingredients
- 8 free-range chicken portions
- salt, to taste
- 80 g Kerrygold butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 T paprika
- 1 T chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 T garam masala
- 1 t ground turmeric
- 1 t ground cumin
- ⅓ cup tomato sauce
- 1 t sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 t cream
- ½ lemon, juice
- spring onions, chopped, to garnish
- For the garlic flatbreads
- 500 g flour
- 1 T sugar
- 1 t salt
- 1 T dry yeast
- 2⁄3 cups warm water
- 2⁄3 cups warm full-cream milk
- 2 T vegetable oil
1. Season the chicken with salt. Place the chicken in the marinade and coat well. Marinate for 1 hour on the kitchen counter or overnight in the fridge.
2. Melt half the butter in a large pan over high heat and add the chicken. Cook the chicken for about 3 minutes per side or until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Reduce the heat to medium. Using the same pan, add the remaining butter and the onion and season with salt. Cook until softened, then add the paprika, chilli flakes, garam masala, turmeric and cumin and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Return the chicken to the pan, then add the tomato sauce, sugar and water and stir through. Simmer covered for 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Stir through the cream and simmer for 15 minutes. Finish off with the lemon juice and garnish with chopped spring onion.
5. To make the garlic flatbreads, mix the dry ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl. Add all the wet ingredients and form a soft dough. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes.
6. Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, cover and leave to rise in a warm spot for 90 minutes or until doubled in size.
7. Knock down the dough and divide into 8 equal balls. Roll the dough into discs of about 5 mm in thickness on a floured surface.
8. Grill the flatbreads on each side over an open fire or in a large pan over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until puffed up.
9. Heat the butter, garlic and onion in a saucepan over medium heat for 10 minutes.
10. Brush the flatbreads with garlic oil and serve warm with the butter chicken.
Cook’s note: Swap the chicken for chickpeas and skip the marinating stage for a vegetarian version. For a vegan option, swap the cream for coconut milk.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Recipe: Onezwa Mbola
Production: Bianca Strydom
Food assistant: Emma Nkunzana
Kerrygold butter, one of Ireland’s most famous exports, perfectly showcases the benefits of grass-fed Irish milk – it’s rich and creamy, with a velvety mouthfeel and a nuanced, cultured flavour profile. It’s also the butter of choice for discerning cooks, not only for finishing off dishes but for cooking with too.