- 30 g butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 T Woolworths Cape Malay curry powder
- 1 free-range egg
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 brown bread slices, crusts removed
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 500 g butternut, cooked and mashed
- 2 T lemon juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 small bay leaves
- Butter, for greasing
- Fruity chutney, for serving
- Vinegared and chilli-spiked sliced tomatoes and red onion, for serving
- Cooked brown rice, for serving (optional)
- For the topping, whisk:
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ t turmeric
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Gently cook the onion in the butter until very soft. Stir in the curry powder and remove from the heat.
Beat the egg with the buttermilk. Crumble the bread and add to the beaten egg mixture and mash well.
Mix the quinoa and mashed butternut, then add the onions, bread mixture and lemon juice. Mix well, seasoning to taste.
Turn into a litre-sized buttered baking dish. Press in the bay leaves. Bake for 15 minutes, then ladle over the topping. Bake for a further 15 minutes, or until the topping is set.