- 1 x 3–4 kg Woolworths frozen turkey in butter brine, thawed
- 750 g butter, softened
- 20 g fresh sage leaves
- For the mushroom-and-sausage stuffing:
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 T butter
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 250 g brown mushrooms
- 300 g leeks, washed and chopped
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 500 g pork sausages, removed from the sausage casings
- For the roast plums:
- 1 kg ripe plums, halved and stoned
- 6 T brown sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split and seeded
- 4 T butter
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Place the turkey on a large baking tray, breast side up. Rub 250 g butter under the skin and tuck in the sage leaves.
Fill the cavity with the stuffing, cross the turkey’s legs and tie together with butcher’s twine. Rub another 250 g butter onto the turkey’s skin.
Roast the turkey for 2½ hours. Melt the remaining butter and use to baste the bird every 15 minutes. If any dark spots appear on the skin, cover with foil, shiny side up. Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh; the turkey is cooked when the temperature is between 72°C and 75°C. Serve the turkey with the roast plums.
To make the stuffing, heat the olive oil and butter in a pan over a medium heat. Add the garlic, mushrooms, leeks and apple. Season to taste. Sauté until cooked through, then spread on a baking tray to cool. Toss with the uncooked sausage meat.
To make the roast plums, preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the plums in a roasting pan and coat in the brown sugar and vanilla seeds. Stud with butter and roast for 35–45 minutes, or until soft.
Cook's note: I recommend basting your turkey every 15 minutes to ensure that it's soft and succulent.