- For the pickled cucumber:
- 1 Mediterranean cucumber, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 cup red wine vinegar, warmed slightly
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- For the sloppy joes
- olive oil, for frying
- 500 g Woolworths chicken mince
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 x 400 ml can coconut cream
- 6 T Woolworths mango atchar
- 6 sesame bread rolls, halved and toasted
- fresh coriander, for serving
1. To make the pickled cucumber, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and allow to stand while you prepare the chicken.
2. Heat a splash of olive oil in a large pan and fry the mince until golden and cooked through.
3. Remove the mince from the pan and sauté the onion until translucent. Add the garlic and fry until fragrant, then add the coconut cream and atchar. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half, then add the cooked mince. The sauce should be thick enough to coat the mince.
4. Serve the chicken mince on the rolls, topped with the coriander and pickled cucumber.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Food assistants: Claire-ellen Van Rooyen and Kate Ferreira