- 250 g Woolworths frozen phyllo pastry, thawed
- 3 T butter, melted
- 50 g Woolworths caramel chocolate drops
- 30 g Woolworths cinnamon sugar
- 2 T cornflour
- 1 t ground ginger
- 2 T treacle sugar
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 6 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into wedges
- ½ cup honey
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Brush a layer of phyllo pastry with melted butter, then place into a 27 cm pie dish and sprinkle with caramel chocolate drops and cinnamon sugar. Repeat with half the remaining pastry, caramel drops and cinnamon sugar.
2. Mix the cornflour, ginger, sugar, lemon juice and zest. Toss in the apples.
3. Place the apples in the pie dish and top with the remaining pastry, as you did to make the base. Bake for 35–45 minutes, or until the apples are soft.
4. Heat the honey over a low heat until very brown and caramelised. Serve the apple pie topped with the honey.
Cook's note: Use canned pie apples for quicker cooking, or substitute pears in season.
Photographs: Andrea Van Der Spuy
Food assistants: Bianca Strydom and Irinja Bekker