- 2 T sunflower oil
- 8 free-range skinless chicken thighs
- 3 star anise
- 2 red chillies, halved
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 t Woolworths crushed fresh turmeric
- 1 T Woolworths crushed fresh ginger
- 2 T coconut or Muscovado sugar
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 T fish sauce
- 100 g peanuts, toasted and roughly chopped basmati or jasmine rice, steamed, for serving
Heat the oil in a pan, then brown the chicken. Add the spices. Cook for 2 minutes.
Add the sugar and cook over a medium-low heat for 2 minutes.
Stir in the rice vinegar, hoisin sauce and fish sauce. Cook for 4 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Serve with the peanuts and rice.
Cook's note: The caramel flavour of coconut sugar is perfect for this recipe and it's perfectly balanced by the rice vinegar and fish sauce. I love the combination of sweet, spicy and salty.