- 4 T olive oil
- 2 x 300 g punnets Woolworths mixed exotic mushrooms
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 150 g butter
- 4 cloves Woolworths black garlic, finely chopped (alternatively, use ordinary garlic)
- 1 T Woolworths green peppercorns
- 100 g caperberries and brine
- 4 free-range eggs, fried
- kale chips, for serving (optional)
Heat 2 pans over a very high heat. Add 1–2 T olive oil to each pan and fry the mushrooms in batches until golden brown in colour, seasoning as you go. Resist the urge to stir the mushrooms as this will make them soggy. Shake the pans occasionally to release them and let the other side brown.
Just before you finish the last batch, return all the mushrooms to the pans, divide the butter between them and allow to melt, shaking to coat.
Just as the butter browns, divide the garlic, peppercorns (or black pepper) and caperberries between the pans and allow to sizzle for 2 minutes.
Divide half the caperberry brine between the pans and serve immediately with the fried eggs and kale chips.
Cook's note: This is delicious tossed through pasta, with rice or on toast.