- 3 - 4 pears
- 2 T honey
- 70 g Muscovado or Demerara sugar
- 30 g butter
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 t vanilla paste
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- 1 T milk
- 2 x 250 g sheets Woolworths all-butter puff pastry, thawed
- 4 Woolworths coconut marshmallows
- 40 g Woolworths organic dark chocolate
- sesame seeds, for sprinkling
- vanilla and chocolate ice cream, for serving
- Woolworths chocolate dessert sauce, for serving
1. Slice the pears into small evenly sized cubes. Keep in lemon water to prevent them from discolouring while slicing.
2. Fry the pears in the honey, sugar, butter, lemon zest and juice and vanilla paste until softened and caramelised, about 15–20 minutes. If the mixture releases a lot of water while cooking, drain some liquid to encourage caramelisation. Cool slightly in the fridge.
3. Cut each sheet of pastry in half to make rectangles. Spoon the pears onto one half of each rectangle. Top each one with a coconut marshmallow, some chocolate and some sesame seeds. Fold over the pastry, pinching the edges closed. Beat the egg and milk and brush onto the pies. Sprinkle generously with sesame seeds.
4. Chill for 15 minutes, then carefully place on a braai grid and bake over cool coals, turning often, until evenly puffed up and golden, about 15–20 minutes. Serve warm with the ice cream and chocolate sauce.