- 2 T olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 240 g basmati rice
- 2 t saffron
- 1 T salt
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- pomegranate rubies, for serving
- spring onions, chopped, for serving
- chilli flakes, for serving
- 100 g flaked almonds, toasted
- 1 -2 T honey
- lime, for squeezing
1. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan and cook the onion over a medium heat until soft and slightly caramelised.
2. Add the rice and stir until completely coated in oil. Cook for 2–5 minutes, or until the rice starts becoming translucent. Add the saffron, salt and stock. Stir until well combined.
3. Cover with a lid and simmer over a low heat, stirring once or twice for 30–35 minutes. Allow the rice to catch on the bottom of the pan creating a soccarat (a crunchy caramelised base). Allow to stand for 10 minutes once cooked.
4. Toss the flaked almonds in the honey in a pan over a medium heat until coated. Serve the rice with the pomegranate rubies, chilli flakes, almonds and lime juice.