- 2 T oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ red, yellow and green pepper, chopped
- 1 t fresh ginger, grated
- 1 t garlic, crushed
- 2 t curry powder
- 4 carrots, grated
- 1 tomato, grated
- 1 t sugar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 x 410 g can baked beans
- fresh coriander, for serving
1. Heat the oil in a pan and gently sauté the onion and peppers for 1 minute.
2. Add the ginger, garlic and curry powder. Fry until fragrant. Add the carrots and sweat until soft, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the tomato and sugar and season, then cook for a further 10 minutes.
4. Turn off the heat, add the baked beans and stir to combine. Garnish with coriander to serve.
Cook's note: How do you know I’m a good person? Because I’m sharing my mom’s famous chakalaka recipe with you. It really is that good! Trust me, after making it like this, you will never want to make it any other way!
Photograph: Jan Ras
Production: Bianca Strydom
Food assistant: Gail Damon