- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 chillies, seeded and chopped
- Olive oil, for frying
- 500 - 750 g A mix of beef, pork, chicken or smoked sausages, quartered
- 1 T fresh basil, chopped
- 1 T fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 - 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 - 4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 x 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400 g cannellini beans
- 1 - 2 chicken stock cubes
- Chopped fresh herbs, for sprinkling
- Optional extra vegetables:
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup cut corn kernels
- 4 - 6 chunks of baby marrow
- 1 can beans
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
In a deep, heavy based ovenproof casserole dish, fry the onion, garlic and chillies in a little olive oil. Once soft, add the sausages.
Cook for a few minutes then add all the other ingredients – do not add additional water with the stock cubes, crumble them in. Add the extra vegetables, if using.
Cover and bake for 11/2 hours. In the last 30 minutes of cooking time, check the liquid level, as you may need to add boiling water.
Check the seasoning and serve scattered with fresh herbs.