- 4 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 kg smoked pork shoulder
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 80 g chorizo, diced
- 1 T cumin seeds, toasted
- 1 T smoked paprika
- 450 g black beans, soaked overnight and cooked for 30 minutes
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 25 g fresh oregano, roughly chopped
- 1 x 400 g can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 T honey
- 25 g coriander, roughly chopped
- basil, to garnish
- red chilli, sliced, to garnish
- green beans, steamed, for serving
- For the creamy rocket hummus:
- 1 x 400 g can chickpeas, drained
- 25 g rocket, stalks removed
- 25 g Italian parsley
- 1 t ground cumin, toasted
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup water
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon, juiced
Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based pan and brown the pork shoulder all over. Add the onion, leek, celery, chilli and chorizo and sauté until the vegetables have started to caramelise.
Add the cumin, paprika, black beans and chicken stock. Simmer for 2 hours
Remove the pork shoulder from the pan once soft and shred using two forks. Return the shredded pork to the pan with the oregano, tomatoes and honey. Simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly. Check the seasoning and stir in the fresh coriander just before serving.
To make the hummus, blend all the ingredients until smooth. Spoon onto the stew and garnish with the basil and chilli. Serve with the green beans.
Cook's note: I don’t know what it is about this combo of smoky pork, black beans and rocket, but it just works! This is a simpler adaptation of an all-time Brazilian family favourite and it’s going to be a hit in your house.