- 2 T Italian extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500 g free-range beef mince
- 1 70 g can Woolworths soffritto paste
- 1 400 g can whole red baby plum tomatoes in tomato juice
- 1 200 ml jar Woolworths crushed tomatoes with Parmigiano Reggiano
- 500 g pappardelle pasta, cooked al dente
- 50 g Grana Padano, grated
- 70 g Woolworths speck, fried
- basil pesto, for serving
- fresh basil leaves, to garnish
- Italian extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the onion and garlic. Sauté until translucent and fragrant. Increase the heat and fry the beef mince until golden. Add the soffritto paste and cook for 2 minutes until all the meat is coated.
2. Add the canned tomatoes and half the jar of crushed tomatoes. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 20–25 minutes.
3. Toss the pasta through the sauce, garnish with grated Grana Padano, crispy speck, basil pesto, fresh basil leaves and a drizzle of olive oil.
4. Serve with a side salad of ripe, sliced heirloom tomatoes, prosciutto crudo, fresh basil leaves and rocket. Drizzle with Italian extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.