- 2 T vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, halved and sliced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 T brown sugar
- 200 g mature white Cheddar, grated
- 200 g mozzarella, grated
- 200 g Gouda, grated
- 250 g smooth cottage cheese
- 5 g fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 2 x 250 g sheets Woolworths all-butter puff pastry
- cake flour, for dusting
- 1 T nigella or sesame seeds, for sprinkling (optional)
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C. Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the onions until translucent, about five minutes. Season to taste.
2. Increase the heat to medium-high and allow the onions to brown, a further 5 minutes, sprinkling with the sugar.
3. Place all the cheese and the oregano in a bowl. Add the caramelised onions and mix, combining thoroughly.
4. Place the puff pastry sheets on a floured surface and cut into equally sized rectangles. Spoon 1–2 T of the cheese-and-onion mixture on half the slices of pastry. Brush the edges of the pastry with beaten egg, then carefully top with the remaining pastry and crimp the edges using a fork.
5. Brush the tops with more beaten egg and sprinkle with nigella seeds or sesame seeds. Place on a baking tray and bake for 15–20 minutes, or until pastry is cooked through and golden and the cheese has melted.
Photograph: Willow Tucker